Östermalm is another district in Stockholm where much of the activity occurred for the Americans who worked at the American Legation and the OSS.
The center of my parent’s day to day activities in Stockholm was The American Legation located at Strandvägen 7A. Today there is a hotel at that address, and I am sure that the offices of the Legation are no longer recognizable. Other offices of The American Legation were found on Strandvägen or streets nearby.
My mother marked the German Legation as being very close to The American Legation, as shown in the postcard photo. This I am trying to confirm, as another address I found for the German Legation is Karlavägen 59 as shown on the map.
Today Östermalm is probably the most exclusive district in Stockholm with upscale shopping and luxury apartments. One of the attractions for Stockholm nightlife is around Stureplan which I described when I wrote about a couple of World War II Nazi hangouts in that locale.
This part of town is also where the Church of Gustav Adolfs is to be found. This is the church where my parents were married in 1945.
Five major streets come together to a massive roundabout at Karlaplan, a public park plaza created during the 1890′s and named in honor of all the Swedish kings named Karl. In the 1930′s a fountain and a circle of trees was added. You can see what it was like in 1919, pre-fountain, in this Wikipedia photo. Still the same magnificent architecture, hotels, and apartments.
Today it is one of the most exclusive places to live in Stockholm. I can see why.
In the map below, I have marked a few places in Östermalm …
- The American Legation at Strandvägen 7A.
- An address I found for The German Legation, Karlavägen 59, which does not match my mother’s notation on the photograph above. More research needed! If you have anything to add, please comment!
- Stureplan, where the Nazi hangouts were located and which is a hub of Stockholm nightlife today.
- Gustav Adolfs kyrka, the church where my parents were married.
- Karlaplan, the “five star” park plaza